Laurie Carr Scholarship Program
Accepting applications for 2021. Deadline is May 14, 2021

South Portland Housing Authority awards up to $2,000 each year in scholarships through the Laurie Carr scholarship program, at the determination of the SPHA board. Applicants must be a resident of a South Portland Housing Authority (SPHA) owned or managed property, or a recipient of an HCV voucher under the jurisdiction of the SPHA. Applicants must also be currently attending or planning to attend a certification, license, or degree earning program.

Click here to download or print Laurie Carr Scholarship 2021 App


PHADA Scholarship Program
No longer accepting applications for 2021.

In order to encourage academic excellence and community responsibility among high school students, PHADA has implemented a scholarship program for graduating seniors who are preparing to enter college. PHADA will award three scholarships to deserving youth currently residing in a PHADA member agency. (This includes graduating seniors that are in a household that receives Section 8 through SPHA and graduating seniors that are living in an SPHA Public Housing property.)

Three Scholarships Will Be Awarded:

  • Stephen J. Bollinger Memorial Scholarship $7,000
  • Freedom & Civil Rights Scholarship $5,000
  • Nan McKay Pathway to Achievement Scholarship $5,000

For application and additional information, please visit

MAPHD Scholarship Program
No longer accepting applications for 2020.

The Maine Association of Public Housing Directors award one $1500 scholarship each year through the MAPHD Scholarship Program. A second scholarship is possible depending on funds available. Applicants must be residents of Public Housing / Section 8 / Low Income / Subsidized Housing. Applicants must be a graduating high school senior or currently attending an accredited institution of high education.

For application and additional information, please visit